FEATURED FLORAL: Succulents for Summer and Beyond
Succulents love the summer heat and sunshine, so now is a great time to take some home from the floral department. Plus, they are low-maintenance and only need water every two weeks.
Here are our floral designers’ top tips for enjoying succulents at home:
- Plant them in well-draining potting soil or stones/marbles. For a beautiful presentation, arrange multiple succulents in a clear planter to hang inside. Line up three small succulents in individual pots on a window sill.
- Succulents will thrive outdoors during the summer months. For your deck or front steps, plant several succulents in a large planter.
- If you’re using clear or transparent vessels, make sure the roots are completely covered by moss, gravel or soil as exposure to light is harmful to the roots of succulents.
- Do not over-water or allow succulents to sit in water. Water should freely drain to the bottom of the planter, but make sure the roots are not sitting in the water. If they are, simply pour some of the water out.
- Succulents thrive with direct sunlight for 5-6 hours per day.
- Fertilize succulents only during the summer, and use half the amount suggested on the package.
Visit our floral shops for advice from our designers on selecting and planting succulents.