Roche Bros. has made daily trips to the New England Produce Center in Chelsea every day since we opened in 1952. Our buyers hand-select the freshest produce and deliver it directly to each store, alongside local offerings and fresh cut fruit.
Produce Specialists, Sudbury
14 & 17 Years of Service
We love this time of year, with our produce departments filled with pumpkins of all sizes.
Small to medium-sized pie pumpkins are just waiting to be cooked and baked into pumpkin pie. And did you know that the mini pumpkins aren’t just for decoration? Pop them in the toaster oven and enjoy fresh roasted pumpkin a side dish with dinner, mashed or pureed with butter and cinnamon!
Choose larger pumpkins to carve jack-o-lanterns for Halloween. And be sure to save the seeds. Roasted pumpkin seeds are a healthful snack your whole family will love.
Follow these tips for making your pumpkin seeds crunchy and delicious:
1) Clean the seeds: This isn’t the fun part, but you have to clean all of the pumpkin bits off the seeds. When you’re done, give them a good rinse.
2) Boil the seeds: While this step is optional – and we’ve certainly made tasty pumpkin seeds without doing it – boiling the seeds makes them easier to digest and crunchier when they’re all done. If you’d like to try it, add the seeds to a pot of water with some salt and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
3) Drain and dry the seeds: Drain the seeds and dry them. It’s okay if they aren’t totally dry.
4) Coat with oil: Arrange the seeds in a single layer on a baking sheet and coat them with oil.
5) Add flavor: This is the fun part! When it comes to flavor, anything goes with roasted pumpkin seeds. Keep it simple with sea salt. Sweeten things up with pumpkin pie spice or nutmeg and cinnamon. Or make them spicy with ground cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper.
6) Roast the seeds in the oven at 325F: After 10 minutes, stir the seeds and then roast for another 5-10 minutes. How long it takes depends on your oven, so watch closely during the second half of the cooking time!
7) Let them cool and enjoy!