Fresh Black Mission Figs have a flavor all their own. The taste can be described as a mix of strawberry, melon and banana flavors, with a pleasantly jammy, creamy texture.
Here are some ideas for how to enjoy them:
1) For a party, serve figs alongside baked Brie with your favorite crackers or a toasted baguette.
2) Bake a lightly sweet fig cake. Some recipes include warm spices, such as cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. Nuts also go well as an ingredient. Or top an almond cake or other yellow cake with a fig-based sauce.
3) Dip figs in melted dark chocolate for a treat. Spice them with a dash of cayenne pepper or make them salty with a sprinkle of sea salt.
4) Top a homemade pizza with ricotta, figs and arugula. Drizzle honey on top!
5) Make a sweet and salty appetizer with slices of chorizo cooked with figs, honey, cinnamon, and two cups of red wine. The blend creates a sauce for the chorizo and figs. Serve in a crock pot for a crowd!
6) For a main course, marinate chicken pieces in citrus zest and fresh rosemary. Then roast chicken with fresh figs arranged around them. The cooked figs turn into a sweet sauce!
7) Cut a small hole in each fig and fill with ¼ teaspoon of goat cheese. Wrap each fig in prosciutto and place on a baking sheet. Mix 3 tablespoons of honey with 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg. Spoon honey mixture over figs and roast for 8-10 minutes at 400 degrees.
8) Upgrade your grilled cheese with figs! Slice them up and add them to your sandwich with white cheddar, avocado and fresh spinach.